Sunday, January 25, 2009

In the home stretch...

Here's the latest update from Oak Hill...

Last Tuesday, Dad & I went to see Mom.  She was commenting about the time it's taking to adapt to the new wing of the nursing home.  It seems as though she's dealing with staff that aren't as attentive as they should be (or as attentive as the staff on the other wing!)  She's also dealing with the frustration of being 'institutionalized' since May.  Dad & I attempted to lift her spirits.  We reinforced the fact that the sooner she's walking, the sooner she'll be home.  

Her challenge:  getting herself from a seated position to a standing position.  I told her that it won't be long and she mentioned that the chair push-ups that they've been having her do are starting to work -- her butt is starting to lift about halfway off the chair.  I also told her:  I'm just waiting for that phone call from you saying that you stood up on your own.

Fast forward to Wednesday...

I'm at work, in a meeting.  I come out of the meeting to find a message on my phone from Mom -- asking me to call her back when I have a chance.  Figuring the topic of the phone call was to add something to my shopping list, I called her back.  

"Ask me what I did today?" she calmly says after a cheerful greeting.  

"This is NOT the phone call I was waiting for, is it?"  I exclaim.

"I stood up today" she said calmly.

And the day seemed a little better from that moment on!

Keep Mom in your thoughts and prayers.  Hopefully, she'll be home within the next couple of weeks!

No comments: